Saturday, December 26, 2009

Excellent post-Christmas run

With continued cool temperatures in southern California, we're able to take the dogs out on slightly longer and faster runs. Only two more weeks until the re-scheduled (not so) Great Serum Run, so we better get them up to speed, plus our local sledding season is about to get going the week after and we want the dogs to be able to handle some decent runs while we're up in the mountains.

And while large portions of the country are currently covered in snow, remember that dryland season is almost year round, so check out our carts and the reviews on our Facebook page, and get your order in today!

Here are some pictures of today's run with the six-dog-team at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa:

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Southern California Urban Mushing

Cooler weather in recent days was a nice motivator to get us and the dogs out on the trails for some decent runs at local parks. On Sunday, we met with 7 other scooter teams for a 6-mile run at Aliso Creek Trail in south Orange County. It had been awhile since I ran my three puppies by themselves and it was good to see them working well together. If only our clownboy Silver would rise up to his potential and carry his weight for the entire run.

For updates on our runs, please see the calendar or the Yahoo! Group at

Monday, December 14, 2009

New date for 4th annual (not so) Great Serum Run

After getting feedback from the registered participants and reviewing the viable options, we have rescheduled the 4th Annual (not so) Great Serum Run to Saturday, January 9, 2010.

This is the soonest date that will work out for most participants. If you've already registered and cannot make that date, we will refund your entry fee (contact our group through Of course, this also gives a chance for new dog teams to register for the races!

We'll send out a reminder again in a couple of weeks but everything else remains the same - venue, race classes, barbecue potluck, raffle and t-shirts. Oh yeah, we will once again be raffling off a grand prize --- a brand new Diggler Dirt Dawg courtesy of Diggler Scooters!!!

Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Mud Factor

Winter has finally arrived in southern California!
The local mountains received plenty of snow and coastal areas had a few days of measurable rain and cooler temperatures.
Since our "(not so) Great Serum Run" had to be postponed, our "Urban Mushing" group hit the trails around Newport Beach's Back Bay for a run in the rain.
The dogs loved it and made sure to find a mud puddle at every break for extra comfort.

Speaking of mud, we recently shipped our first "mud cart":

By customer request, we added wider tires in the rear, mud guards for the back wheels and footboards that won't allow for mud to build up.
Combined with the bright metallic orange powdercoat paint job for better visibility, this cart is ready for action.

Friday, December 11, 2009

Huskies in need of good homes

We were contacted by a friend about 2 Huskies/Husky Mixes that are in need of a good forever home.

They are:

Violet: 1 year old found running on the I-5 in Sun Valley, CA. She is very sweet and gentle. Loves to be outside, house-trained and crate-trained. She is good with kids and other dogs but doesn't like the cats and feels it is her responsibility to make sure the squirrels stay out of the year. Very typical Husky! She also loves to play "chase me".


Collette: 4 months old. House-trained and very smart. We didn't get one good application from our TV spot Monday. She is playful and loves her chew toys! We think Husky/Shepherd mix

If you are interested in any of these dogs, please contact Pryor's Planet
- by phone (818) 288-0241
- E-Mail
- or on the web

We are not in any way affiliated with Pryor's Planet, but always like to help find a great home for a Husky in need.

Remember to check the other rescue sites on the right side of this blog for more available dogs.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

4th annual (not so) Great Serum Run Postponed!

Our 4th Annual (not so) Great Serum, originally slated for this Saturday, December 12th, at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa, has been postponed.

Everything is all set --- medals, t-shirts, racing bibs, sponsors, raffle items, barbecue potluck, etc. And on top of that, we are experiencing unusually cold temperatures for this area and it would have been a wonderful and fun opportunity to run the dogs.

The City of Costa Mesa, to which we had to get permission and pay special events and usage fees to, contacted our group an hour ago and has revoked the permit for this weekend. They have determined that due to the soaking the park has received from the heavy rains this past Monday, coupled with the forecast for additional wet weather starting tomorrow (though possibly only showers/light rain), that the trails will be subject to a lot damage IF a large number of scooters and bikes were allowed on it. (FYI, they recently set up new trail systems and are continuing to do so together with a general beautification of the park).

And believe me, this is VERY disappointing as we've made all these preparations and spent all this money to get this set up but there is nothing we can do. It's not being postponed due to the weather but rather the effect past weather has had on the trails.

What are our options? I think there are only two of them at the moment: 1) move the date to Sunday, December 20th (the park is already reserved by the Boy Scouts for December 19), or 2) move the date to sometime in January, probably the January 10th. We have between 60 - 70 entries signed up so far and all will be contacted individually to get their suggestions for a new date.